Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

If you ever watch any HGTV remodeling shows, you know that there always has to be a problem in the remodeling.  I do not care how well a house is built something is going to go wrong.  It seems to never fail. 

We have run into our own minor hiccups along the way.  Thank goodness it has not been anything too major, and we have been able to solve the problems as we went. 

Knocking the Walls Down
The Good – It opened up the living area tremendously.  It even gave me an area to add on a small pantry.



 


















The Bad – It left us with an open spot in the hardwood floors from where the former wall used to be.  No worries I came up with a solution, and the guys were able to execute my idea.   To see the solution, check out my next post in a few days.






















The Ugly – It left us with a hole up to the attic from where they had to place the supporting beam.  This meant that we had to have men come in and redo the ceilings.  If you have ever had to deal with sheetrock, you know that it is tremendously messy.  It took me forever to clean it all up.









Taking up the Kitchen Floor
The Good – I was excited to get rid of the laminate floors and freshen up the area.

The Bad – There were three layers of flooring that was extremely hard to get up.  Then hardwood was under that.  In order to get the floors leveled, we had to pull it all up.   Even down to the stubs in the laundry room area.


The Ugly – We found some minor leaks once the floor was taken up.  One was near the back door due to the back landing being higher than the house, and one was under the kitchen window where the sink was placed.  Although this created a mess, it did not take much to fix the leaks.  I am glad we found them when we did.  











We also had to move our mailbox to the road since the original mailbox was up the driveway near the house.  Kevin has warned me that it is going to probably get hit by a tractor before too long.  I am just waiting.




















Adelaide has been doing really well with all the remodeling.  She enjoys going to the new mailbox with me when we get to the house.  She has also learned how to take naps on a pallet at the new house when needed.  I tell you she can sleep through almost anything. 





















We overcame these hiccups and are almost to the point of being able to move in.  I can’t wait!  More updates to come later this week. 


Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithIn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...